Whether it's the off-season or you have a special event request, to arrange a Custom Tour, contact us!
Born on a Mountain, Raised in a Cave: The Cave-Aged Cheese Tour
Farm Tour Details:
- Every Wednesday afternoon
- Duration is approximately 3 -4 hours
We first head down the road to Fairview and Blue Ridge Mountain Creamery, a truly special place conceived of by artist Victor Chiarizia. The handmade cheese created by Victor and his staff reflect traditional techniques with a flair of ingenuity. Blue Ridge Mountain Creamery is the only creamery in Western North Carolina that ages cheese in a natural rock-wall cave carved out of the land. Victor’s artistic talent also makes itself known with his glass sculptures that decorate the landscape. Visitors receive a guided tour of where the cheese is made, visit the cave where the cheese is aged, and are rewarded with a tasting of some of the creameries best cheeses. A visit to Blue Ridge Mountain Creamery is guaranteed to be an unforgettable experience. Victor’s cheeses are available for purchase and you may bring your own wine to enjoy during the cheese tasting.
Next stop is Round Mountain Creamery, a picturesque dairy goat farm where they raise both Alpine and La Mancha goats with love and produce Grade A goat's milk and fresh goat cheeses. Visit the milking parlor, meet the goats, see the bottling and cheese making operations and enjoy a cheese tasting.
Farmers & Flavors of Appalachia Tour
August Farm Tour Details:
We meet at 9AM for the tour and head for Alexander, NC, home to Carolina Bison Farm where they offer the opportunity to get up close and personal with Buffalo, Watusi cattle, and Camels!
Next we go north to Madison County, known as the “Jewel of the Blue Ridge”, it offers visitors majestic natural beauty combined with a rich Appalachian heritage of farming and traditional music.
Our second stop is beautiful Highgate Farm where produce, as delicious as it is beautiful, is grown following organic practices in a reclaimed old tobacco field. During certain seasons there will be over eight types of lettuce and over eight different types of peppers in the field.
Our other stop on this tour is East Fork Farm, a beautiful farm where they raise laying hens, chicken, sheep, beef, trout, cattle and rabbits. To top it off they have a working gristmill where they grind heritage corn into corn meal and grits. We will have out Farm To Table lunch at this picturesque farm. In addition, they have a farm store with farm fresh products are available for sale.
(Occasionally different farms may be substituted)
Beginning September Farm Tour Details:
Our tour begins at 9AM when we head into the beautiful rolling hills of Alexander, NC where we find Carolina Bison Farm. Carolina Bison offers the opportunity to get up close and personal with Buffalo, Watusi Cattle and Camels!
Next we head to Franny's Farm, located in Leicester. A pioneer in industrial hemp production in Western NC, Franny's offers an organic farm for visitors to celebrate, learn, explore, relax and have a memorable time. Franny’s Farm is at the core an organic, sustainable farm that is home to many animals such as chickens, turkeys, sheep, goats and a donkey. There are vegetable, fruit, flower, bee and pollinator gardens as well as a u-pick blueberry hill.
From Leicester we head to the Sandy Mush community and the home of the beautiful Lady Luck Flower Farm. Cradled by the Southern Appalachian mountains, in a cove of cattle and hay farms, lies this land of blossom and bliss. Carefully tended ground, an eye for detail, a deep respect for art, ceremony and ritual, we are inspired by the intersection of wild and cultivated. From our design work to our farming practices we are guided by the laws of love, health and beauty. Here we meet the farmer, stroll the flower fields and pick a few flowers. We finish with a farm fresh lunch under their outdoor pavilion.
Cheese, Glass, Flower Blast : Fairview Experience Tour
Farm Tour Details:
- 10:30 Meet for the tour and greet your fellow farm adventurers
- First settled around 1783, Fairview, only slightly larger than six square miles, is an area rich in history, beauty and multi generational farming
- Our first stop is the very special Flying Cloud Farm where they grow vegetables, berries, and flowers using sustainable methods without the use of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides.
- Next stop is Blue Ridge Mountain Creamery a truly special place conceived of by artist Victor Chiarizia. The handmade cheese created by Victor and his staff reflect traditional techniques with a flair of ingenuity. Blue Ridge Mountain Creamery is the only creamery in Western North Carolina that ages cheese in a natural rock-wall cave carved out of the land. Victor’s artistic talent also makes itself known with his glass sculptures that decorate the landscape. Visitors receive a guided tour of where the cheese is made, visit the cave where the cheese is aged, and are rewarded with a tasting of some of the creameries best cheeses. A visit to Blue Ridge Mountain Creamery is guaranteed to be an unforgettable experience. Victor’s cheeses are available for purchase and you may bring your own wine to enjoy during the cheese tasting.
- For lunch, we visit either the Straightaway Cafe or Roots and Fruits
- Straightaway Cafe, a cafe, pub, and music venue set in the twisted pastoral farmland of highway 9 is about fostering community with humans near and far using our passions for good music, good food, and good service. We do five free family-friendly music shows a week. We're proud to serve local meats and produce
- Roots and Fruits mission is to help build a local food community by working with local farmers and producers to supply a small neighborhood market. At less then a quarter acre they've created the garden as a large educational part of their business. Not only do they produce enough food to sell in the market and cook in the kitchen but it demonstrates where food actually comes from, the earth. They use organic practices and many permaculture based concepts, raise chickens for eggs, grow annuals, perennials, fruit trees, and grow all year long through large and small hoop house cold frames.
- Between 3:15 and 3:30 we are back in the van for a 3:45 -4:30 arrival back in Asheville
(Occasionally different farms may be substituted)
The Art & Agriculture Adventure Tour
Farm & Art Tour Details:
- This wonderful tour is a collaboration between Art Connections and Asheville Farm To Table Tours
- Every Saturday afternoon
- Duration is approximately 4 hours
- Saturday tours begin at 1PM where we start by visiting one of the areas’ local pottery studios! Artists are passionate about sharing what they do. We’ll meet the potter and get a guided look at the studio where both functional and decorative ceramics are created. This will be an opportunity to learn some of the processes the artist specializes in.
- Next we head to one of two wonderful local creameries, either Round Mountain Creamery or Looking Glass Creamery. Round Mountain Creamery is a picturesque dairy goat farm where they raise both Alpine and La Mancha goats with love and produce Grade A goat's milk and fresh goat cheeses. Visit the milking parlor, meet the goats, see the bottling and cheese making operations and enjoy a cheese tasting.
An Asheville Farm to Table Tour Makes the Perfect Gift!
Visit Appalachian Family Farms
Enjoy a personally guided experience as you and a small group discover unique family farms in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Meet Local Farmers
Gain a true appreciation of where food comes from when you meet the farmers and their families of beautiful Western North Carolina.
Taste Local Food
Food never tasted so fresh and delicious as when you enjoy it straight from the farms you visit.
What Our Customers Are Saying:
We had a great day with Anne on the farm to table tour. . My boys really enjoyed seeing all the baby animals. The last farm was a small vegetable farm owned by a chef and his wife. He made us a DELICIOUS lunch all from his garden or local farms. We all enjoyed the tour including my 13 and 11 year old boys. Read full review at Trip Advisor
We got to see three farms, meet the people who owned them and did the work. This was topped off by a delicious lunch. I eagerly recommend this tour to everyone.
Read full review at Trip Advisor
Visiting the farms and Spinning Spider Creamery was more interesting than I had expected. Very glad my wife recommended the tour. Then we went to a very small farm and had a first class meal there.
Visited May 2016
What a fantastic tour to Asheville area farms! We were treated to tastes at the farms and then ended with a great lunch. The farmers were wonderful and made time to answer questions. What a great addition to Asheville tourism !
I had a wonderful time visiting three great farms in Madison county, the day could not have been much better really! Was lovely and relaxing and we ended up with full bellies, one of the best meals I've ever had...will definitely do it again and highly recommend.
Thank you so much for today... Just WOW! We really enjoyed the Farm to Table tour, and all that you put into making this a unique experience. From exploring a working farm, to watching cheese being made to having the combination of all three in an amazing meal prepared at a homestead. This will be an experience we won't forget.
Visited May 2016
Great experience! Ann is knowledgeable and has put together a well balanced fun as well as delicious day! A 'must do' whether you consider yourself a foodie or not.
We had a wonderful day visiting 3 gorgeous Fairview farms on our tour. We saw flowers and veggies, tasted amazing cave-aged raw milk cows's cheese, and ended visiting the baby goats and chickens at Hickory Nut Gap. Lunch was delicious. Highly recommended...
Ann is the perfect guide to a full-filled day. We visited three beautiful farms and enjoyed a fabulous feast at the end of our journey. This is a tour you will not want to miss!
Had a great time visiting a small ranch farm, a goat farm cheese creamery, and a homesteaded farm where we had a delicious meal prepared from all local veggies, meats, and cheeses. Family visitors plan to do this tour when they arrive this summer.
What a unique experience! Such a beautiful drive thru the countryside of Madison County which is easy to see fits the tag, "Jewel of the Blue Ridge". Sebastian, a young professional Chef from Holland and New York, prepared a delicious lunch for us in his kitchen that included ingredients from each of the farms we visited What a enjoyable day………
Read full review at Trip Advisor.com
The tour of the farms was wonderful. Seeing the beautiful WNC countryside, hearing about the farms directly from the farmers and then enjoying a fantastic meal crafted from the local ingredients made for a very special day!
Book A Tour Now
Frequently Asked Questions
A fun and enriching guided tour adventure where sustainable farmers share their passion and knowledge. Full day tours include a farm sourced lunch and afternoon tours include a tasting.
Address: Asheville, North Carolina
Phone: 📞 828-357-7343